Monday, February 19, 2007

Hull of a day

I had a pretty productive day. The quadrant with the radar dish got a lot of attention as did the two escape pod walkways. I had a real good time weathering these parts. I brought out the airbrush and the Tamiya Neutral Gray to darken the turret sidewalls, back end of the jawbox, and a few areas with blast damage. I really like this photo:
This angle shows off the radar dish quadrant of the hull and a good look at the blast holes I cut into the hull. Still missing from the finish is the spatter/speckle pass. I want to get the upper hull completely weathered with paint/pastels so that I can apply the spatter for the top all at once. When the final coat of clear (Testors Dullcote) gets applied, I will call the finish complete.
Many images of the same area from different angles are required to do a thorough recreation of the weathering on this ship. Rob is starting to archive all the print-outs we've accumulated over the course of this project into a 3-ring binder. I will have to take a photo of that next time as it is an impressive volume.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

What a dish.

Here's a good look at the where I am on the dish assembly. I cleaned off the back of the donor dish and filled in the old mounting slots. I added new ones that fit the FM hardware and have begun recreating the details on the back of the dish. The front is going to be very time consuming, and so I started with the lighter work.Below is a quick comparison of the size difference between the supplied FM dish and the new correct-scale blank I created. I can't get over how small the stock dish is.
Somebody just got an upgrade! Here's one last photo to show how much of an improvement the larger dish diameter makes when presented with the rest of the falcon.